Have news relating to Jewish boxers? Email the editor here!

Friday, September 28, 2012

Wohlman Speaks on His Last Fight

Zachary "Kid Yamaka" Wohlman's last fight was stopped after the third round because of a head clash and cut that opened up on his forehead. A technical draw was ruled. Wohlman described to The Jewish Boxing Blog how the clash with his opponent, Jesus Vallejo, occurred, "I slipped inside his right hand, [and] since he was lunging forward, his head smacked right against mine." Wohlman needed 32 stitches.

The result has been hard for Wohlman to take. He reveals, "I'm pretty heartbroken about it. It's like being upset over getting rear ended. The fact is I'm completely powerless." It's especially frustrating because, as Wohlman says, "I was dismantling this opponent and using my skills. I had every round on the cards, he was bleeding from his nose, mouth etc."

But Zachary is astute enough to see the silver-lining. He notes, "Paulie [Malignaggi] explained to me when I was getting stitched up, that sometimes it's better to just get a wild guy out of there if he's hurt because the longer it goes on, the more chance there is for something crazy to happen (like a headbutt). So next time I see it's time for my opponent to go, I'm going to sit down [on my punches] and finish the job."

Though this is an aggravating bump in the road, it's evident that Wohlman, a thinking man's boxer, possesses a rare combination of confidence and humility. He knows the strength of his abilities in the ring. But he's willing to learn from those around him. That skill will coming in handy because he's surrounded by some of the best minds in boxing, including Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach.

No comments:

Post a Comment