Have news relating to Jewish boxers? Email the editor here!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lessons from the Loss: Wohlman on Last Night

His voice sounded firm and resolute. This loss would not define his career. He knew where he had failed and what he could do to make sure that never happens again.

Zachary "Kid Yamaka" Wohlman (4-1-1, one KO) suffered the first defeat of his career last night against Alonso Loeza, a fourth round stoppage. Despite his superior technique, he lost a battle of "will vs. skill" as he puts it.

There were explanations, but no excuses. "I want to take 100% responsibility for the loss." Wohlman told The Jewish Boxing Blog, "I know this sounds bizarre, but I learned more than ever in my heart this is really what I want. And that being said, I need to live and breathe boxing all the time."

When he woke up in the morning, no longer an undefeated fighter, he was "on fire." Any true competitor knows the feeling. He shunned the press, refusing to read other's opinions of the bout for the time being. He didn't need to be told where it all went wrong.

"I went from 166 lbs. to 148 lbs. in two weeks," purging five pounds of sweat on Friday in the process. He noted that in the excitement of potentially fighting at the Staples Center on the undercard of the Mares-Moreno title clash on Showtime, "I rushed into a fight I wasn't prepared for."

Knowing he was out of shape, Wohlman uncharacteristically attempted to oust Loeza from the fight early. But Wohlman is at heart a boxer and Loeza as a boxer is all heart. Loeza survived the early barrage.

"I completely ran out of gas," Zac admits. Falling in the third round after a series of clubbing rights, he experienced an epiphany. "Last night, I dropped from exhaustion and found my way back up from nothing else but instinct. I'm going to get in to phenomenal shape, utilize my skill, and know that those instincts are who I am as a fighter."

Wohlman looks to return to the ring in a few months after he works his way into better condition. He assures his fans who have given him so much support, "I'll be back in the ring, ready and prepared, as soon as possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment