Isaac Chilemba threw his heart and soul into training for what looked like his big break. He was to fight Zsolt Erdei, a former two-time world champion, on HBO, the preeminent network for boxing in the United States.
Last week, Erdei complained of a broken rib and the fight was called off. Chilemba's disappointment was palpable. He took to Twitter and acknowledged that the development "sucks." He continued, "[I] think my opponent is just scared."
Chilemba (19-1-1, 9 KOs) told the Jewish Boxing Blog that he is still scheduled to fight on September 29 at the Foxwoods Resort in Mashantucket, Connecticut, but that he will no longer be on the HBO telecast. It is a truly unfortunately development for the "Golden Boy."
Chilemba has earned fans through a combination of proficient skills and uncanny determination. He has shown a rare willingness to fight the best, but in this harsh business of boxing, he'll have to wait for his next big opportunity. Isaac said that he'll have more details about his next fight shortly.